Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Batman Superman #4 Review


The Trickster has led the Batman and Superman of two worlds to an unimaginable power. Their reactions will define the fate of their worlds.

We finally get to the end of the first arc of the Batman/Superman comics and I feel a little underwhelmed (sorry, Dick!).

Things drift to a natural conclusion, albeit with some good emotional moments. But the major problem is that this arc felt like it could have been condensed into a single comic. We got some glimpses of Earth 2 but beyond some basic interactions, the story really lacked in depth.

And the art was detrimental to this story. We never got the sense of this world, thanks to the blank backgrounds. Jae Lee is a good artist, but this story didn't suit him at all.

But enough of my rantings. For while the art wasn't that detailed, I think Greg wanted us to concentrate on the characters than the surroundings (through that didn't translate well on page) and we got a sense of what make the Earth Prime (Zero? One? Anyone has the number?) Superman and Batman different from their Earth-Two Counterparts.There were some good emotional beats, which I will deal with in the spoilers.

SPOILERS follow............................................

  

Again, I say that this was a good idea in theory (two worlds collide. Major decisions are made. What can go wrong with that?) but didn't translate well on paper and it's chief problems were an overblown arc and minimalistic art.

When you do parallel Earths, there is a need to show how that Earth is different. That didn't happen.

If you like Jae Lee's art, go for this. For me, Ben felt better and I'm looking forward to the next artist.

Greg gave a glimpse of an ability to tell a story without compromising the characters so I'm looking forward to a hopefully better assembled next arc.

So, I give it 6.0 out of 10.0

+Some good emotional beats
+Slade vs Superman

-Art still not suitable for this story
-Story felt bloated

2 comments:

  1. Never been a fan of Jae Lee and while I think his art was good, the lack of backgrounds really made the story feel like it was happening in a void. I agree with you on the need to show HOW Earth 2 is different, instead it felt like actor's on a poorly made set with no backgrounds and a lot of fog to make it seem mysterious.
    News of Brett Booth coming aboard this title has me excited. I was impressed by Pak's concept and I enjoyed the story but the art really made it hard to get 'into' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jae is a great artist undoubtedly. But his problems have been mainly in drawing distinct backgrounds, nothing more. His character drawings are very good.

      The problem has been that this arc was about parallel Earths. For that, you need backgrounds, not blurred lines.

      And about Brett, do you know what comics he's drawn, so that I can get a preview of what his work on this title may be like?

      Delete